Sacred Heart Schools, Atherton (SHS) is seeking excellent candidates for a Prep Religious Studies Teacher at the Preparatory.
Founded in 1898, SHS is a Roman Catholic, coeducational, independent school and is comprised of four divisions: SHS Preschool and Kindergarten, SHS Lower and Middle Schools for grades one through eight, and Sacred Heart Preparatory for grades nine through twelve.
Located on a beautiful 64acre campus in the San Francisco Bay Area, SHS is one of 23 schools in the U.S. Network of Sacred Heart Schools and is affiliated with a network of over 200 Sacred Heart schools worldwide. The school's mission is to educate the whole child to be a leader who loves God and serves others. For more information about the schools, please visit our website: https://www.shschools.org/about/overview
*We offer competitive compensation based on years of experience, education, and skill level. This position offers health and welfare benefits subject to plan parameters, including medical, dental, vision, Life & LTD, 403(b) retirement plan, and more.
School Year: 2023-2024
Position Purpose: The Religious Studies teacher prepares the curriculum and teaches high school students. This particular role teaches any of the following topics: Introduction to Catholicism, Personal Morality, Hebrew/Christian Scriptures and Social Ethics.
- Teaches religious studies successfully to high school students.
- Prepares course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and student resources.
- Maintains accurate student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Assesses student work and provides meaningful feedback to guide learning/growth.
- Plans evaluates, and revises curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.
- Establishes and maintains an effective classroom culture that supports student learning.
- Collaborates with colleagues to develop and renew curriculum and other school programs.
- Collaborates with colleagues to integrate religious studies coursework with campus ministry and/or other academic disciplines.
- Contributes actively to building a vibrant faculty/staff learning culture.
- Maintains regularly scheduled office hours in order to advise and assist students.
- Maintains expertise in subject matter and pedagogy through professional development.
- A clear commitment to the educational philosophy of the school as articulated in the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Schools and professional behavior modeled in it.
- Bachelor's degree in Educational Administration, Religion, or a closely related field.
- Post-graduate work in subject matter and/or educational administration.
- Must be a practicing Catholic.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to teach adolescents with joy and verve.
- A strong understanding of and commitment to curriculum aligned with Catholicism, as interpreted and lived by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate innovative technology to support student learning.
- Demonstrated ability to support all learners, including those with a learning difference or identified learning disability.
- Demonstrated ability to teach scripture in a creative and charismatic style that provides a profound and sincere experience of Sacred Heart and Catholic principles and inspires adolescents to have a deeper involvement in both.
- Commitment to active collaboration with colleagues around planning and instruction, as well as, a willingness to adapt to an existing curriculum.
- Fluency in reading, writing, and speaking in English; excellent verbal and written skills, as well as outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Master's degree in a relevant field.
- Prior experience working in an independent / Catholic school environment. Experience of any kind in a Sacred Heart school strongly preferred.
- Prior experience with campus ministry.
- Some prior experience teaching online.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Works in a fast-paced environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and complexities serving a varied constituency.
- Must comply with all state vaccination requirements and show proof of vaccination including but not limited to COVID-19 or proof of eligibility for exemption.
- Ability to travel safely and comfortably across a 64-acre campus.
- May work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
- Work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled classroom environment and intermittently in outside weather conditions, including heat and cold typical to the Mid-Peninsula in the Bay Area.
- Available and willing to attend and work on overnight trips, on occasion
To apply, please visit: SHS Careers- Prep Religious Studies Teacher