Sacred Heart Schools, Atherton (SHS) is seeking excellent candidates for a High School English Teacher at the Preparatory.
Founded in 1898, SHS is a Roman Catholic, coeducational, independent school and is comprised of four divisions: SHS Preschool and Kindergarten, SHS Lower and Middle Schools for grades one through eight, and Sacred Heart Preparatory for grades nine through twelve.
Located on a beautiful 64-acre campus in the San Francisco Bay Area, SHS is one of 23 schools in the U.S. Network of Sacred Heart Schools and is affiliated with a network of over 200 Sacred Heart schools worldwide. The school's mission is to educate the whole child to be a leader who loves God and serves others. For more information about the schools, please visit our website: https://www.shschools.org/about/overview
*We offer competitive compensation based on years of experience, education, and skill level. This position offers health and welfare benefits subject to plan parameters, including medical, dental, vision, Life & LTD, 403(b) retirement plan, and more.
School Year: 2023-2024
Position Purpose: The English Teacher prepares curriculum and teaches English to high school students in grades 9-12
- Teaches English successfully to high school students.
- Prepares course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and student resources.
- Maintains accurate student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Evaluates student work and provides meaningful feedback to guide learning/growth.
- Plans evaluates and revises curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.
- Uses effective class management techniques to ensure effective learning.
- Collaborates with colleagues to develop and renew curriculum and other school programs, including contributing positively to the team that co-creates shared curriculum and assessments across sections of a course.
- Contributes actively to building a vibrant faculty/staff learning culture.
- Maintains regularly scheduled office hours in order to advise and assist students.
- Maintains expertise in subject matter and pedagogy through professional development.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA degree in Education, English, or a relevant field and three years of relevant teaching experience. Prior experience working in an independent/Catholic school environment and/or a Master's degree in a relevant field and /or teaching credential in an appropriate subject matter strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to teach high school-level course(s) in at least one other discipline within their subject area.
- Demonstrated ability to teach adolescents with joy and verve.
- A strong understanding of and commitment to pedagogy aligned with the National Council of Teachers in their subject matter.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate innovative technology to support student learning.
- Demonstrated ability to support all learners, including those with an identified learning difference or disability.
- Obvious passion for their subject area and fostering that passion in adolescents.
- Willingness to adapt to an existing curriculum as well as contribute ideas to enhance the respective academic and other school programs.
- A broad knowledge of and experience with current best practices in curriculum and instruction, especially standards-based learning
- Excellent verbal and written skills, as well as outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated excellent attendance and punctuality.
- A clear commitment to the educational philosophy of the school as articulated in the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Schools and professional behavior based on it.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Works in a fast-paced environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and complexities serving a varied constituency.
- Must comply with all state vaccination requirements and show proof of vaccination including but not limited to COVID-19 or proof of eligibility for exemption.
- Ability to travel safely and comfortably across a 64-acre campus.
- May work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
- Work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled classroom environment and intermittently in outside weather conditions, including heat and cold typical to the Mid-Peninsula in the Bay Area.
- Work hours occasionally extend outside of the traditional workday such as for a back-to-school night, parent-teacher conferences, or when chaperoning overnight school trips.
To apply, please visit: SHS Careers- Prep English Teacher