Sacred Heart Schools, Atherton (SHS) is seeking excellent candidates for a High School Environmental Science Teacher at the Preparatory.
Founded in 1898, SHS is a Roman Catholic, coeducational, independent school and is comprised of four divisions: SHS Preschool and Kindergarten, SHS Lower and Middle Schools for grades one through eight, and Sacred Heart Preparatory for grades nine through twelve.
Located on a beautiful 64acre campus in the San Francisco Bay Area, SHS is one of 23 schools in the U.S. Network of Sacred Heart Schools and is affiliated with a network of over 200 Sacred Heart schools worldwide. The school's mission is to educate the whole child to be a leader who loves God and serves others. For more information about the schools, please visit our website: https://www.shschools.org/about/overview
*We offer competitive compensation based on years of experience, education, and skill level. This position offers health and welfare benefits subject to plan parameters, including medical, dental, vision, Life & LTD, 403(b) retirement plan, and more.
School Year: 2023-2024
Position Purpose: The Environmental Science teacher prepares curriculum and teaches AP Environmental Science to high school students. Teaches 4 classes, each class with approximately 16 students.
- Teaches AP Environmental Science successfully to high school students (11/12th grade).
- Prepares course materials such as syllabi, homework assignments, and student resources.
- Maintains accurate student attendance records, grades, and other required records.
- Assesses student work and provides meaningful feedback to guide learning/growth.
- Plans evaluates and revises curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.
- Establishes and maintains an effective classroom culture that supports student learning.
- Collaborates with colleagues to develop and renew curriculum and other school programs.
- Contributes actively to build a vibrant faculty/staff learning culture.
- Maintains regularly scheduled office hours in order to advise and assist students.
- Maintains expertise in subject matter and pedagogy through professional development.
- A clear commitment to the educational philosophy of the school as articulated in the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Schools and professional behavior based on it.
- BS or BA degree in a relevant field and three years of relevant teaching experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to teach environmental science at all levels (including introductory through advanced placement.
- Demonstrated ability to teach adolescents with joy and verve.
- A strong understanding of and commitment to pedagogy aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate innovative technology to support student learning.
- Demonstrated ability to support all learners, including those with an identified learning difference or disability.
- Obvious passion for science and advanced knowledge in environmental science and fostering that passion in adolescents.
- Willingness to adapt to an existing curriculum as well as contribute ideas to enhance the respective academic and other school programs.
- Excellent verbal and written skills, as well as outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated excellent attendance and punctuality.
- Prior experience working in an independent/Catholic school environment.
- Ability to teach other science disciplines, e.g., Biology, Chemistry, non-AP level environmental science.
- Master's degree in a relevant field and /or teaching credential in appropriate subject matter.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Works in a fast-paced environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines, and complexities serving a varied constituency.
- Must comply with all state vaccination requirements and show proof of vaccination including but not limited to COVID-19 or proof of eligibility for exemption.
- Ability to travel safely and comfortably across a 64-acre campus.
- May work at a desk and computer for extended periods of time.
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
- Work primarily in a traditional climate-controlled classroom environment and intermittently in outside weather conditions, including heat and cold typical to the Mid-Peninsula in the Bay Area.
- Available and willing to attend and work on overnight trips, on occasion.
To apply, please visit: SHS Careers