Duration: 12 month contract – 10-month school/work year schedule
Reporting to: Academic Dean/Principal/Head of School
Schedule: Monday through Friday (plus scheduled events)
Hours: FT (7:50 – 3:20)
Mission: Rooted in the Catholic, Dominican tradition, St. Agnes Academy challenges young women through exceptional academic preparation and transformational experiences to lead with integrity, joy, and a commitment to social justice.
St. Agnes Academy teachers educate within the high school-college preparatory academic level. They teach, inspire, advise, critique, question and counsel to bring out the best in our Academy women.
Faith, Community, and Dominican Charism
· Ensure that the four pillars of a Dominican education (prayer, study, community, preaching) are developed and promoted among the school community.
· Develop an active faith community and model Christian values.
· Incorporate prayer and spiritual formation within the student, faculty/staff and parent communities.
· Uphold and implement the Dominican charism and the Houston Dominican Sisters’ congregational goals.
The main responsibilities will include:
· Plan, prepare and deliver lesson plans and instructional materials that facilitate active learning.
· Follow the faculty expectations outlined in faculty handbook.
· Manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing and enforcing rules and procedures.
· Be familiar and enforce student handbook policies.
· Encourage and monitor the progress of individual students and use information to adjust strategies.
· Prepare required reports on students and activities.
· Participate in department, school and parent meetings.
· Communicate necessary information regularly to students, colleagues and parents regarding student progress and needs.
· Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
· Provide a variety of learning materials and resources for use in educational activities.
· Assign and grade class work, homework, tests and assignments in a timely fashion and update systems accordingly.
· Communicate and partner with parents in a timely manner.
· Other duties as deemed necessary by the Department Chair, Academic Dean, Principal, Head of School.
· Commitment to embrace the mission of St. Agnes Academy
· Minimum of a four-year B.A./B.S. degree
· Teaching certificate or twelve credit hours in education courses
· Experience teaching in an independent school and/or an all-girls environment a plus
· Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office and basic technology needed for teaching, learning, and communication
· Professional attitude, behavior, and appearance
· Completion of Safe Haven training
Specific Academic Area Requirements:
· Proficiency in TI-84 Graphing Calculator.
· Be familiar and teach using math related technologies, examples: TI graphing calculator, Desmos, Geogebra, etc.
· Assist in grading Incoming 9th grade and Transfer Student placement tests.
· Identify students in need of the Algebra Review Summer School and distribute invitational letters.
· 2 – 3 department members will be asked to teach summer algebra review. One department member will be asked to teach Incoming 9th grade summer class.
· Proof tests for Middle School Math Contest and attend event if possible.
· Work with students in terms of appropriate math placement for following year.
· Collect and submit names for underclass, junior book and senior awards.
· Work cooperatively with your course team to plan lessons and assessments. As well as meet with your vertical team to ensure alignment of skill sets and methodologies.
· Course Team Leader (if applicable):
o Host course team meetings as needed
o Upload yearly and monthly plans onto school’s shared system
o Lead discussions on course plan, lessons, quizzes, and tests
o Lead selection of new textbook – if applicable
o Turn in a copy of midterm and final exam to department chair
o Lead discussions regarding course policies and procedures (like test corrections, placement, etc.)
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional/educational environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and other technologies.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit at a desk, move about the classroom, communicate via phone/face to face, manually input data into a computer, walk to different office areas, reach with hands and arms, and minimal lifting.
The forgoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive
list of all the responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.