Superintendent of Catholic Schools Diocese of Gary
Diocese of Gary and Catholic Recruiter Associates
Location: Gary, Indiana
Type: Full Time
Background: The Roman Catholic Diocese of Gary (https://www.dcgary.org/ ) was founded on December 17, 1956, by Pope Pius XII, and is one of four suffragan dioceses of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis. Its ecclesiastic territory includes Lake, Porter, LaPorte, and Starke counties in northwestern Indiana. The mother church of the diocese is the Cathedral of the Holy Angels in Gary, Indiana. The diocese is led by The Most Reverend Robert J. McClory who was ordained as the fifth Bishop of the Diocese of Gary earlier this year and leads 186,000 Catholics in the densely population of northern Indiana. The Schools Office serves the 17 elementary and 3 high schools in the Diocese of Gary. There are 5677 students enrolled in our schools which include 11 elementary schools and 2 high schools in Lake County; 3 elementary schools in Porter County; and 3 elementary schools and 1 high school in LaPorte County. All the schools are accredited by the state of Indiana.
The Catholic Schools of the Diocese are an essential part of the total educational mission of the Church of Gary. Because all but three schools are parish based, much authority and responsibility for the implementation of the mission of the Catholic school lies with local pastor/principal leadership. The Catholic Schools Office provides services, resources, and facilitates for the Catholic school communities.
Job Title: Superintendent of Schools
Reports To: Bishop of Gary
Location: Gary, Indiana
Position Summary of Duties:
The Superintendent serves as the manager providing day-to-day advice and consultation to pastors and principals on issues arising in Catholic school education in Northwest Indiana. The Superintendent provides support, encouragement and guidance on educational and instructional standards, continuing formation and certification of teachers, contractual issues, staffing assistance, and other issues helpful to the administration of Catholic schools. The Superintendent has oversight responsibility for the Catholic schools in the Diocese of Gary.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: (The essential functions/major responsibilities listed are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position. Duties and responsibilities are also subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and the requirements of the job change.)
I. Specific Task/Duties:
1. Provides guidance to assist the responsible and efficient daily operation of parish schools.
2. The Director oversees the theological curriculum of the High Schools and the hiring of personnel in Theology department.
3. Implements and monitors financial policies designed to ensure the viability of Catholic schools. Publicizes markets and supervises public grants to schools.
4. Provides resources to assist in school operations to principals and pastors.
5. Provides direct oversight and accountability for the three diocesan high schools through the direct supervision of the institution’s Principal. This includes school operations such as curriculum, finance, personnel, development, athletics, etc.
6. Collaborates with pastors, principals, and local school councils to build lines of communication, understanding, support and accountability.
7. Informs school personnel about issues of public policy to assure compliance with federal and state regulations and policies.
8. Promotes the Catholic identity/formation and ecclesial purpose of Diocesan schools.
9. Collaborates with key stakeholders in the creation of a Diocesan Plan for Catholic Education in the Diocese of Gary.
10. Oversees departmental communications, correspondence, publications, and reports.
11. Creates avenues of direct communication with Principals of diocesan schools.
12. Provides direction for school curriculum and Faith Formation.
13. Promotes inclusive education and testing programs in Diocesan schools.
14. Helps mediate school disputes that cannot be resolved at the local level as requested.
15. Works with the Diocesan Communication Office and media to generate a positive public relations campaign for schools.
16. Maintains personnel, student, and financial records for the Catholic Schools Department.
17. Prepares, presents, and administers a departmental budget.
18. Manages other duties as assigned.
Support, upholds, and maintains the Mission of the Diocese of Gary and Parish and serves as a role model of the church/school in a positive manner and in all business interactions within the church/school and to the outside community. Demonstrates loyalty and pride in the church/school, its employees, and departments
Respects and safeguards the confidentiality of information regarding parishioners, customers, co-workers and the church, and holds others accountable to the same standard.
As a leader within the church, projects a professional and caring demeanor in interactions with all.
Takes responsibility for maintaining a clean, neat and orderly environment. Uses equipment, supplies and other materials with a focused effort to stewardship and reducing waste.
Demonstrates an attitude of teamwork when interacting with others within or outside the church. As such, consistently displays respect for self and for others in manner (body language, dress), word (spoken language) and action (behavior).
Takes ownership of job responsibilities by initiating prompt and appropriate action/follow-up in all areas. Insures appropriate and timely resolutions to situations.
Exhibits resourcefulness and Initiative in anticipating and meeting the needs of others in a pro-active manner. Encourages and empowers subordinates to perform in the same manner.
Welcomes suggestions and innovative ideas as an opportunity to gain experience, grow and improve services.
Promotes and supports the change effort through accurate and timely communication, flexibility and acceptance.
SPECIFIC JOB SKILLS:
Excellent oral and written communications skills; the ability to articulate complex, and at times emotionally-charged issues with clarity empathy, and accuracy
A thorough understanding of the teachings of the Catholic Church, especially as they relate to education
Strong administrative and organizational skills
Ability to work collaboratively and foster teamwork
Ability to model lifelong learning by a commitment to acquiring new skills and mentoring others to do the same
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
A master’s degree in education is required, doctorate preferred.
Coursework in theology is preferred.
An Indiana license in school administration is required.
At least 10 years of experience in teaching and school administration is required, preferably in Catholic education.
Must be a professed and practicing Catholic.
Application deadline: January 30, 2023
(Note: We reserve the right to shorten the deadline for applications if we have sufficient interest. Please apply early to ensure your background will be considered.)
For consideration: Please email resume to: Miriam Brackett-Santos Senior Director Education Catholic Recruiter Associates Miriam@CatholicRecruiter.com.
Note: Only those selected for an interview with the search committee will be contacted
About Diocese of Gary and Catholic Recruiter Associates
Catholic Recruiter Associates is a 30+ year old, leading Catholic executive search firm. Our ability to find administrators and fundraisers who can “walk the walk” and deliver results is unmatched in the world of Catholic recruiting. Leading a Catholic school organization whether as a Superintendent, Principal, Head of School, or President requires an individual of impeccable character, solid education pedigree and strong Faith based convictions to create a true Catholic education environment. Our Education Search Division is led by Dr. Arlene M. McSweeney, a Doctor of Education, who attended Catholic School grades 1-12, received her Master's in Education from a Catholic University, taught CCD, is a Eucharistic Minister, certified as a Superintendent, teacher, administrator and guidance counselor in three states. Dr. McSweeney put her children and grandchildren through Catholic Schools. Dr. McSweeney "walks the walk," and her Catholic research staff produces extraordinary results.
(Note: Our 20+ year confidential database is the 1st place we go when conducting any retained search. Please, send your resume for consideration, so we have you on file.) Peace, CRA