Those who have joined the Banner mission come from all walks of life, united by the common goal: Make health care easier, so life can be better. If changing health care for the better sounds like something you want to be part of, we want to hear from you.
Banner Behavioral Health Hospita l in Scottsdale, AZ was remodeled and expanded in 2017, providing new, state-of-the art units for our patients and staff! Banner Behavioral Health Hospital is a voluntary facility for adults and adolescents. We are dedicated to providing safe, confidential, and compassionate treatment with customized treatment plans to meet each patient's needs.
We are looking for a full time chaplain to provide spiritual care tor our patients and their families. Our ideal candidate will be Board Certified by a nationally recognized body, have experience working with behavioral health patients and is excited to serve an interfaith population. Our chaplain is expected to offer support in an interfaith context, which respects and honors diverse spiritual viewpoints and all individual spiritual choices.
You will arrange for the ritual practice with an interfaith approach, and you will partner with community spiritual providers to ensure the patients of our hospital are supported spiritually as they wish. You will also provide spiritual care groups to our adolescent and adult patients on each of our 7 units on a weekly basis. There is also an opportunity to engage with our Banner Clinical Pastoral Education program. We have previously hosted CPE residents for a behavioral health rotation as part of their training. This is an exempt position with a schedule of Sunday through Thursday 9 am to 530 pm (start time can flex between 8 and 9 am).
Your pay and benefits (Total Rewards) are important components of your Journey at Banner Health. Banner Health offers a variety of benefit plans to help you and your family. We provide health and financial security options so you can focus on being the best at what you do and enjoying your life.
For more than four decades, Banner Behavioral Health has provided nationally recognized, comprehensive behavioral health care for patients of all ages faced with the challenges of psychiatric, behavioral health, or chemical dependency problems. Six locations in and around Phoenix (including Chandler, Gilbert, Glendale, Phoenix, Scottsdale and Sun City West) make it easy for our patients to find help, and easy for you to have the neighborhood and lifestyle you want. Banner Behavioral Health is dedicated to providing safe, confidential and compassionate treatment.
POSITION SUMMARY This position is responsible for providing facility chaplaincy services to ensure the purpose and objectives of the program are met, which includes providing intensive and extensive emotional and spiritual care to patients, families, and staff in ecumenical and interfaith contexts, requiring the assessment and documentation of emotional and spiritual needs and addressing appropriately. Administers sacramental, religious and/or priestly duties. Provides quality care in crisis situations and during the process of dying, death, and bereavement.
CORE FUNCTIONS 1. Provides emotional and spiritual care to patients, families, and/or staff.
2. Assesses and documents the spiritual care needs of patients, families, and/or staff and responds appropriately.
3. Provides emotional and spiritual intervention in crisis situations.
4. Administers and/or facilitates sacramental, ritual, and devotional experiences. Leads interfaith and ecumenical worship services.
5. Responds to emergency calls and participates in an on-call rotation schedule.
6. May assist in orienting, training, and coordinating the work of Spiritual Care Volunteers and/or, where applicable, Chaplain Interns.
7. Performs a variety of miscellaneous activities in support of continuing education and/or spiritual services at assigned facility, which may include: participating in evidence-based research projects and writing related journal articles; collaborating and maintaining community partnerships/relationships; providing educational and consultative seminars for the hospital community staff, peers, and (where applicable, to Clinical Pastoral Education students,) on topics such as, spiritual assessment, death and dying, grief, ministry skills, prayer, and spirituality; updating, maintaining, and distributing spiritual literature; and/or, performing other related activities.
8. Articulates and demonstrates continuous quality improvement utilizing processes that include consideration of all stakeholders. Fosters an environment that focuses on excellence in processes and outcomes.
9. This position is responsible for providing spiritual care at assigned facility/facilities or off-sight location. Participates in spiritual care teams and/or committees. Internal customers include patient care teams, physicians, staff, and volunteers. External customers include patients, family members, faith communities, and area clergy.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS Advanced knowledge of principles and practices of pastoral/ministry services as normally obtained through the completion of a Masters of Divinity or equivalent from an accredited institution and a working knowledge of pastoral care principles and practices as normally demonstrated through a minimum of two years relevant experience. 1600 hours of supervised work in clinical pastoral education (preferred, not required, at rural facilities, BUMC-T and BUMC-S). Eligibility for ordination or commission to function in professional ministry and in good standing with appropriate religious authority. Faith group endorsement in specialized pastoral care.
Eligibility for board certification by a nationally recognized professional organization, such as Association of Professional Chaplains, National Association of Catholic Chaplains, National Association of Jewish Chaplains.
Skilled in being tolerant and empathetic of intense emotions and situations. Must have excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills to effectively interact, convey information, provides assistance to a diverse group of individuals and displays a high degree of confidentiality. Skilled in maintaining composure and professional demeanor in difficult, volatile, and stressful situations. Skilled in performing a variety of pastoral roles and functions. Skilled in crisis intervention and conflict resolution methodologies. Skilled in working independently. Skilled in maintaining documentation of observations and services provided.
Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital or must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment. Employees working at Banner MD Anderson or BUMC-P Whole Health Counseling must possess a State of Arizona Department of Public Safety Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Ordained, if applicable by faith group and endorsed for chaplaincy by a recognized faith group or equivalent as evidenced by Board Certification (BCC) by a nationally recognized professional organization, such as Association of Professional Chaplains, National Association of Catholic Chaplains, National Association of Jewish Chaplains. Additional related education and/or experience preferred. Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred, depending on assignment.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
What might draw you to Banner Health? A great health care career, of course—and a great place to live, no matter what stage of life you’re in. With facilities across the West, there is a health care career for everyone, from big city living in the Phoenix area to friendly small towns in the mountains and plains. As one of the largest nonprofit health systems in the country, Banner Health offers both the stability that comes with success and the possibility of exploring new areas of the country. If you’re looking to be a key contributor to a forward-looking organization, you’ll experience a wide variety of professional advantages:
Our expansive system offers you an unmatched variety of clinical settings – from large urban trauma center to small rural hospital, ambulatory to home health.
Our commitment to healthcare innovation means you always have the latest technologies at your fingertips to help you provide the finest care possible.
The size, success and growth of our system provide you with the stability and options to pursue your desired career path.
Competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits offer you options to complement your unique needs.