Position Title: University Minister for Faith Formation
Classification Title: FT Administrator
City/Campus: Detroit - McNichols
Department: University Ministry
Position Status: Full Time
The University Minister for Faith Formation promotes the University’s Catholic, Jesuit and Mercy mission by forming disciples who walk with Jesus and each other for the greater glory of God. The University Minister works collaboratively to engage students from diverse faiths in opportunities for worship, prayer, retreat and pastoral care. The University Minister accompanies students on their spiritual journey to know, love and serve God and each other.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Faith Formation • Oversee the University Ministry Internship program. This involves faith formation, leadership formation and pastoral support of 6-8 undergraduate ministry interns as well as the annual recruitment process. These are core student ministry leaders for campus ministry initiatives. • Christian/Spiritual Life Communities: Recruit, coordinate, guide and support student leaders of CLC’s (weekly faith sharing groups). • Ministry Monday: Weekly catechesis and faith formation for students. Topics include Ignatian/Mercy spirituality and current issues of faith and culture relevant to university students. • Pastoral support: Provide pastoral outreach to and support of the faith journeys of all students, especially exploring the development of new opportunities.
(2) Retreat Development: • Oversee the retreat program. Foster a collaborative spirit with the university ministry team, faculty, staff and students in the facilitation of retreats. • Facilitate and create annual retreats (ie. First-Year Retreat, Men’s/Womens’ Retreat, Busy Persons Retreat and others) • Recruit and form student retreat leaders.
(3) Liturgical and Ecumenical Responsibilities: • Responsible for coordination of major Masses or services such as Honors Convocation Mass, Ecumenical Service(s) and Baccalaureate Mass. This includes involvement in task force meetings with university officials, effective communication with and delegation of responsibilities to the University Ministry Team, as well as acting as liaison to the Jesuit community and Sisters of Mercy. • Co-coordination of Celebrate Spirit interfaith event (including Mass of the Holy Spirit) with the director which includes the same as the above. • Recruit, train and coordinate students for Masses and other multi-faith services.
(4) Team Collaboration and Collegiality • Regular attendance at University Ministry Team weekly meetings. • Support University Ministry programs when appropriate, including prayer vigils, First-Year Orientation, campus speakers, etc. • Encouraged to be a colleague on one service immersion trip per year. • Participates in at least one university-wide team, committee or taskforce. • Continual collaboration and networking with colleagues from our university, other Jesuit/Mercy/Catholic universities, the Archdiocese of Detroit, local churches and other faith communities.
(5) Other duties as needed.
Master’s degree (M.A.) or equivalent in Theology, Pastoral Studies, Pastoral Counseling, Divinity or related field; at least three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Preferred experience with campus ministry, young adult ministry or equivalent work experiences. Preferred higher education experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A sincere commitment to operate within the university’s Catholic, Jesuit and Mercy mission and traditions. - Commitment to personal ongoing faith formation and formation in equity and justice. - A working knowledge of the liturgical practices of the Roman Catholic Church. - Strong communication, organizational and leadership skills. - Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
Job may require lifting light weight objects (1 to 10 pounds) with no repetitive bending or stooping. Occasionally lift average weight objects (1 to 10 pounds).
Regular exposure to favorable conditions such as those found in a normal office.
Licenses/Certifications: A valid motor vehicle license
Open Date: 11/18/2020
Salary/Pay Information: Commensurate with Experience
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Evenings and weekends as required.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
First round of interviews for selected applicants will done via video conferences. Those invited for the second round of interviews may be asked for an in-person campus tour, interviews and a presentation of a ministry program to the ministry staff and students as part of the interview process (subject to change due to covid-19 realities)
About University of Detroit Mercy
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University's urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.
Internal Number: AF9963-PG001-2008-1254
About University of Detroit Mercy
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.