Saint Agnes Parish, West Chester, PA
Director/Coordinator of Religious Education
The position of Director/Coordinator of Religious Education (DRE or CRE) is a full-time, 12 months a year position. The Director of Religious Education must be a practicing Catholic, in good standing with the Church. Additionally, he/she is a person of prayer who is committed to the authentic teaching of the Catholic faith.
The Director/Coordinator of Religious Education reports directly to the pastor. As a member of the parish staff, the Director/Coordinator of Religious Education works with other staff members to foster and maintain a working environment where worship, prayer, hospitality and learning are the primary motivators.
The Director/Coordinator of Religious Education is a professional catechetical leader who assists adults, adolescents and children of the parish in their faith formation.
The responsibilities of the Director/Coordinator of Religious Education include, but are not limited to:
- Parish Religious Education Program
The primary responsibility of the Director/Coordinator of Religious Education is to administer (design, develop, direct, communicate and evaluate) the Parish Religious Education Program for the approximately 500 parish children who attend public or non-Catholic private schools. He/She:
- oversees the development of the Parish Religious Education Program from Grade Level K through Grade Level 6, in conformity with the guidelines of the Office for Catechetical Formation of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia
- schedules faith formation opportunities for children and parents within the Religious Education Program calendar
- provides access and inclusion for children with special learning needs
- coordinates the initiation process for unbaptized children and/or children baptized validly in another ecclesial community with the pastor according to the Order of Christian Initiation of Adults
- researches and requisitions resources (AV, textbooks, liturgy materials, reference works, etc.) which complement the religious education efforts in the parish
- ensures that the Safe Environment requirements, policies, and mandates for Parish Religious Education volunteers are in compliance with the Office for Child and Youth Protection
- obtains approval and support from the pastor for the general direction of the religious education of the parish
- meets with pastor routinely to discuss matters relating to the parish religious education and sacramental preparation
- implements Archdiocesan policies and procedures per the directives from the Office for Catechetical Formation
- ensures that the Religious Education Program’s schedule of classes and activities are submitted to the pastor or his delegate for approval
- updates and distributes the Parish Religious Education Program handbook for catechists and the Parish Religious Education handbook for parents/guardians on an annual basis
- encourages Parish Religious Education catechists to obtain Catechetical Certification according to the policy set by the Office for Catechetical Formation
- recruits, orients and provides ongoing professional training and spiritual development for the Parish Religious Education catechists
- belongs to the Archdiocesan Association of Parish Directors, Coordinators, Administrators of Religious Education (PDCARE)
- participates in Archdiocesan sponsored events such as the Catechist Convocation, Fall and Spring Professional Days and Retreats
- attends the monthly Directors and Coordinators of Religious Education County meetings sponsored by the Office for Catechetical Formation
- oversees budget for all expenses related to the Parish Religious Education Program. Follows the budgetary procedures as set by the pastor, parish finance committee and/or parish business manager.
- Sacramental Program
The Director of Religious Education oversees the coordination and sacramental preparation of parish school-age candidates who attend the Parish Religious Education Program, Catholic school, home schooled or private Catholic academies. He/she:
- schedules at the pastor’s directives dates for First Penance and First Holy Communion
- schedules and coordinates the sacramental meetings for parents of school-age candidates for the Sacraments of First Penance, First Holy Communion and Confirmation
- schedules, coordinates and prepares retreat days for students preparing for First Communion and Confirmation
- prepares the liturgy (with the pastor or his delegate) for First Penance, First Holy Communion and Confirmation
- schedules Advent and Lenten Penance Services with the opportunity for individual confessions for the Parish Religious Education children
- creates and oversees catechetical plans for older baptized Catholic children or teens who seek the reception of First Penance, First Holy Communion and/or Confirmation.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Coordinator of the Order of Christian Initiation of Adults for unbaptized adults or validly baptized adults from other ecclesial communities. (Coordinate celebration of Rites, instruction sessions, and parish liaison to the Office for Worship, Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Attend Archdiocesan workshops for the R.C.I.A.)
- Design, plan and implement a Youth and Young Adults Ministry and Youth and Young Adult Ministry Leaders
- Liturgy of the Word for Children – coordinate teams for Sunday Liturgy
- Vacation Bible School/Camp
- Parish Liaison to Parish Catholic School (Sacrament Coordination)
- Manage Religious Education Ministry staff which currently includes a full time Administrative Assistant, a Christian Initiation Coordinator (part time)
- Oversee the operation and maintenance of the Parish Data System Faith Formation portion