Diocese of Bridgeport
High School and Elementary School Principal
2017-2018 School Year
Immaculate High School - Danbury, CT
Kolbe Cathedral High School, Bridgeport, CT
Notre Dame High School - Fairfield, CT
Trinity Catholic High School - Stamford, CT
St. Mark Catholic Elementary School, Stratford, CT
St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Elementary School, Fairfield, CT
CATHOLIC SCHOOL ADMINISTRATOR
The Catholic School Administrator is the leader of the school and is appointed by the Bishop of the Diocese of Bridgeport, reports to the Superintendent of Schools and works collaboratively with the Pastor, SAB and HSA. The highest priority of the Principal is the building of a Christian community of faith that provides for the spiritual, moral, educational, intellectual, aesthetical, emotional, social, and physical needs of the students in the school.
The Principal’s goal is to provide effective leadership in fulfilling and communicating the mission of the school to all constituents.
The Principal is the overall leader and facilitator of the community of faith and bears responsibility for the integrity and practice of the spiritual life of the school.
The Principal is overall responsible for maintaining and developing a school strong in academic achievement, as well as providing ample programs to meet the faith formation and co-curricular and extra-curricular needs of the students.
The Principal assisted by the Business Manager and Bookkeeper, has the general charge and control of personnel and budget; its business affairs; its facilities.
The Principal assisted by the SAB, HSA, and the Coordinators of Advancement and Enrollment (if applicable), has the general charge of advancement programs; and is ultimately responsible for enrollment and fundraising.
The Principal is evaluated by the OSS with input from key school constituents including the chair of the SAB, HSA, and the faculty and staff.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Faith Community/Catholic Identity
- Articulates and acts in accordance with the Philosophy of Catholic Education, Diocesan policies related to the religious dimension of the Catholic school, and the school’s mission statement.
- Acts in accordance with Gospel values.
- Participates in building faith community.
- Ensures the hiring of faculty and staff whose values are compatible with the mission of the school.
- Ensures that the Catholic Identity of the school is developed, nurtured and promoted among students, faculty, staff and parents by providing opportunities for school liturgies, prayer services and annual retreats for students, faculty and staff.
- Fosters a collaborative, spiritual and academic environment for faculty, students and parents.
- Collaborates with the Pastor.
- Communicates regularly with the Pastor especially in regards to serious parental and/or personnel concerns.
Leadership and Administration
- Demonstrates effective instructional leadership.
- Implements personnel policies and procedures effectively.
- Follows guidelines and expectations regarding the ongoing accreditation (NEASC) of the school.
- Knows current trends and direction in Catholic school education and 21st century learning.
- Demonstrates a sense of professional responsibility.
- Engages in continuous professional development.
- Promotes innovation and change effectively.
- Actively responds to total school needs.
- Responds in a timely manner and carries out initiatives and programs as directed by the Office of the Superintendent of Schools.
- Exhibits cooperation with local school and Diocesan administrators.
- Exhibits cooperation with teachers and other colleagues and endeavors to create and maintain within the school an environment that fosters strong morale.
- Works collaboratively with the School Advisory Board; Prepares and presents a written report at each Board meeting on internal and external school matters that have emerged since the prior meeting.
- Reviews and approves annual updates of the Faculty/Staff and Student Handbooks with assistance of the faculty and staff.
- Ensures that all employees and volunteers are in compliance with the Safe Environment policies of the Diocese of Bridgeport.
- Follows guidelines and expectations regarding the ongoing accreditation of the school.
- Ensures compliance with the Diocese of Bridgeport and the State of Connecticut’s policies applicable to the operation of the school.
- Maintains liaison with legal counsel through the Office of the Superintendent.
- Works collaboratively with CT Federation of Catholic School Parents.
- Works collaboratively with the Town for bussing, nursing and emergency issues.
- Responsible for the assignment of moderators, coverages, substitute teachers, lunch duty, study halls, etc.
- Responsible for working with faculty and staff on the development and implementation of “back to school” orientation programs, graduation, awards nights etc.
- Acts as liaison with the local town for Emergency Preparedness.
- Uses Teachscape to complete formal evaluations for all teachers;
- Follows Diocesan procedures to complete annual formal evaluations for all non-teaching staff.
- Collaborates with IT personnel regarding digital communications and technology changes.
- Develops and implements building wide systems for records and reporting.
- Oversees course registration and scheduling.
- Completes reports as needed/requested.
- Represents the school at any and all appropriate meetings and activities.
- Accepts additional responsibilities as directed by the Superintendent.
Curriculum and Instruction/Staff Development
- Develops a 180 day calendar and school schedule that provides for the various needs, abilities, talents and interests of the students in light of the school’s mission.
- Clearly defines faculty and staff expectations on instructional strategies, classroom management, dress, communication, etc.
- Oversees IT and other departments to ensure 21st century learning.
- Oversees results and assessment of standardized testing data to make data driven decisions.
- Interviews, selects and orients new staff (including administrative assistant, bookkeeper, maintenance staff, athletic director or volunteer coaches, etc.); and makes sound recommendations relative to personnel placement, retention and dismissal and follow-up of the same.
- Supports orientation and ongoing mentoring for new teachers.
- Oversees Teachscape evaluation protocols and policies; and defines professional development needs based on evaluation data.
- Monitors teacher websites.
- Oversees all student activities.
- Communicates effectively with and maintains appropriate relationships with students.
- Develops and keeps up to date the school handbook in accordance with Diocesan policies and communicates to students, staff and parents the school’s the guidelines.
- Ensures school rules/policies are uniformly observed and that consequences are applied justly in accordance with handbook and policies.
- Oversees implementation of MSP and all data relevant for Diocesan module.
- Oversees standardized testing/assessments.
- Oversees the reporting of student progress.
- Regularly reviews student progress, grades and programming and help identify at risk students.
- Oversees student attendance and tardies.
- Attends First Communion, First Penance, Confirmation, Graduations, Field Day, etc.
- Attends PPT meetings.
- Oversees school communications and mailings through electronic newsletters, MSP, website emails, including preparation and presentation of a written "State of the School" report with goals and objectives for the coming year (when needed)
- Ensures parents are familiar with and have agreed to handbook and policy.
- Meets with parents regarding academic and disciplinary issues.
- Provides opportunities for appropriate parental involvement.
- Acts as liaison with HSA.
Advancement: (Fundraising and Enrollment)
- Provides leadership and is responsible for meeting annual fund goals.
- Provides leadership and is responsible for meeting overall fundraising goals.
- Communicates the mission to alumnae, parents, students, faculty, staff and the wider community and solicits support in making that mission a reality.
- Builds strategic constituent relations including alumni, grandparents, alumni parents and friends of the school.
- Supports all fundraising activities.
- Provides leadership and is responsible for meeting overall recruitment and retention goals.
- Works with SAB to develop and is responsible to oversee development and implementation of marketing plan.
- Reviews applications for admission.
- Supports all enrollment activities.
Finances and Facilities Management:
- Develops and implements the annual budget with support from the Business Manager, Bookkeeper, and Finance chair.
- Responsible for making fiscally responsible decisions.
- Communicates with the Executive Director of the Bishop’s Scholarship Fund.
- Responsible for administration of scholarship and financial aid.
- Works with the bookkeeper to ensure tuition collection.
- Works with the bookkeeper on payroll.
- Oversees the coordination and or rental or use of the school facilities for school, after school programs and non-school related functions.
- Works with SAB and Pastor to oversee facility and ensure the maintenance of physical plant and grounds.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.