NOTRE DAME HIGH SCHOOL
Sherman Oaks, CA
Job Title: Director of Advancement/Development
Reports To: President
The Director of Advancement/ Development is part of the Notre Dame Administrative Team and responsible for creating a vision, direction and an annual comprehensive Advancement plan in coordination with the President, Board of Directors and Advancement Committee. The Director should spend a majority of time soliciting major gift/planned giving donors and prospects, and working with Board members and Advancement staff to maximize major gift and planned giving potential. Duties of the Director of Advancement are organized into three areas: 1) solicitation, 2) program development, and; 3) program management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Solicitation (50% of time)
- Identify, cultivate and solicit potential President’s Club level donors annually ($1,200 minimum) as part of an Annual Fund and/or Capital Giving Campaign.
- Develop strategies to promote, solicit and encourage parents to participate in the program which pays the Gap between tuition and actual cost of education.
- Identify and solicit sponsors for fundraising events. Supervise such events.
- Coordinate major gift and planned gift contacts by the President and Board and Development Committee members. Assist with solicitation visits as needed.
- Identify, cultivate and secure new Legacy Society donors annually. Where possible, seek verbal or written documentation of the estimated value of planned gift commitments.
- Prepare individual communication, cultivation and solicitation plans for each major gift donor/prospect to include gratitude phone calls, personal notes, invitations to special events, timing and approach of next cultivational contact or ASK.
- Develop, with the President and Advancement staff, strategies to engage the Board in the identification and solicitation of major gift and planned giving prospects.
- Work with Class Representatives/Captains to maximize alumni giving and participation.
Program Development (30% of time)
- Prepare a comprehensive development plan that addresses annual appeals, special events, President’s Club, major sponsorships, and planned giving. Include an activitiy timeline.
- Establish Advancement/Development goals with collaboration of the President, Board and Advancement Committee. Monitor progress in meeting goals against periodic benchmarks.
- Supervise the creation of marketing materials and web site content to provide school information and to keep donors informed of opportunities to give.
- Work with the President and Director of Major Gifts to prepare an annual major gifts plan or case statement and distribute promotion materials for major gift/planned donors.
- Coordinate annual mail appeals. Prepare appeal letters and annual fund mailing package. Conduct, organize or assign telephone solicitation follow-up as appropriate.
- Research, initiate contact with and prepare grant proposals to foundations. Involve administration and faculty in determining needs for grant proposals.
Program Management (20% of time)
- Prepare the annual Development income and expense budget in collaboration with the President and Board.
- Monitor major gift progress reports that include # of contacts and results; # of major donors by category ($1,000 - $2,499; $2,500 - $4,999, etc.), # of major donors by constituent group (Board members, Parents, Alumni, Corporations, Foundations, Friends, etc.); major donors by giving interest (unrestricted annual giving, endowment, capital equipment, etc.).
- Enter Call Reports into computer of personal contacts made that describe significant family, education, asset and personal/giving interest information learned from donors during visits and phone conversations.
- Manage and oversee Advancement Office staff members.
- Attend weekly Administration Team meetings to facilitate good communication between the Advancement Office and the school Administration.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Commitment to the mission of Catholic education and the values statement of Holy Cross and Notre Dame High School.
- Five years of Advancement experience with a progressive track record of success. Preference given to experience with Catholic secondary schools.
- Experience soliciting major gifts of $10,000 or more.
- Experience developing and implementing annual giving, major gift, planned giving, grants, and public relations programs.
- Ability to manage the Advancement staff and establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse personalities.
- Experience making effective presentations before groups.
- Excellent writing skills.
- A record of meeting deadlines.
- High energy; self motivated; a sense of urgency.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Windows and Office environment (Word, Excel, Outlook) and donor database software (Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge).
- Safe driving record; current vehicle insurance; ability to use personal vehicle for business.
- Must be able to pass criminal background check.
Work is performed typically in an office environment and involves frequent use of a computer and telephones. Will drive to perform work with donors in the community. May require occasional travel out-of-town.
Interested applicants can email a cover letter indicating reasons for seeking the position and qualifications to email@example.com. The goal is to fill the position by July 1, 2017. Salary commensurate with experience.