Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School is seeking a passionate educator to join our team as a Student Counselor, to help further develop one of Philadelphia’s most promising educational options for young men and women from families with limited financial resources. The Student Counselor will work on a team with a School Counselor, a School Psychologist, and Counseling Interns. This team will continue to create and implement a comprehensive support program to ensure the social, emotional, spiritual, physical, and academic development of all students. He or she will help sustain a culture of high expectations and continual support. He or she will meet the individual needs of each student keeping in mind the school’s belief in cura personalis or “care for the whole individual.” Candidates should have an appreciation of the school’s mission and a commitment to the values of Catholic education. It is preferred that candidates have a masters degree in school counseling, or a related field. This position begins full-time work in July, 2017.
Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School
Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School is an independent, Catholic, college preparatory school for young men and women of all faiths. Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School nurtures and challenges young women and men to recognize and realize their full potential as they grow to love God, respect others, and serve their community.
The school welcomed its first class in August 2012 and now serves approximately 340 freshman, sophomore, and junior students. The school is searching for experienced educators to join the team as we prepare to welcome our fourth cohort of freshmen and build a program for next year’s senior class.
Located in the Logan neighborhood of North Philadelphia, Cristo Rey serves economically disadvantaged families from across the city that could not otherwise afford a private Catholic education. The school utilizes a longer school day and year, structured academic assistance, and counseling support to prepare students, who start out between two and three grade levels behind academically, for college. The faculty’s collective goal for every student is not simply high school graduation or college acceptance but college graduation. It is the faculty’s primary responsibility and challenging mission to prepare every Cristo Rey Philadelphia student to be successful in college.
All students enrolled in the school participate in a unique corporate Work-Study Program through which they develop important skills and finance the majority of the cost of their education. The Cristo Rey Work-Study Program gives students the opportunity to build core skills that will help them succeed in college and the modern workplace. Each student works five full days per month in an entry-level clerical job in a professional work environment. The objective of these jobs is to reinforce the capabilities — reading comprehension, mathematics, discipline, persistence, and a strong work ethic — that students need to be successful in college and career, as well as to provide students with opportunities for development of one's self-esteem and exposure to a professional corporate culture. The money earned through the students’ work goes directly to the school to cover a significant portion of the cost of their education.
The school is endorsed by the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales and the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Cristo Rey is new to Philadelphia but not new to the United States. Cristo Rey Philadelphia is the 25th school in the national Cristo Rey Network. The 32 Network schools serve more than 10,000 students across the country and have established a tremendous record of success preparing students for success in college and in life.
If you would like to be considered for this position at Cristo Rey Philadelphia, please submit one PDF document containing the following information via email to:
Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School
- Cover Letter
- List of 3 Professional References (including email & telephone contact information for each reference)
- Transcripts from Undergraduate and Graduate Education
Responses to 3 Essay Questions:
Candidates for this position should answer questions a, b & c
- Describe your philosophy of education and explain how you hope to put it into practice as a member of the Cristo Rey Philadelphia team. (Maximum Response- 1000 words)
- Over the past four years we have assembled a team of experienced educators who maintain high expectations for our students and work tirelessly to support each student’s learning, growth, and development. We have built a mission-driven culture that is open to growth, dedicated, driven, flexible, creative, loving, joyful, and resilient. Our team is comprised of individuals who are not afraid to fail, who don’t whine, who dare to dream big, and who will stop at nothing to make our dreams a reality. We push ourselves to be constantly learning, reflecting, creating and developing. We challenge ourselves and our students to believe, to dream, to lead, and to serve. Why should you be part of this team? (Maximum Response: 500 Words)
- As a counselor at CRPHS you will be asked to continue to build and be part of a comprehensive program that supports the needs of all students. Describe the challenges you expect to encounter and your vision for this aspect of the school. (Maximum Response - 500 words).