Cardinal Spellman High School seeks applications and nominations for the position of Senior Vice President for Advancement
About Cardinal Spellman High School
Cardinal Spellman High School is the premier, independent, co-educational, college preparatory, Catholic high school in the New York Metropolitan area. The school’s mission is to promote a culture of aspiration that encourages superior academic performance, leadership, and service. Cardinal Spellman strives to make its program available to all qualified students. Spellman emphasizes personal development and fosters a commitment to others that empowers their diverse student population to become leaders who make a difference in their community, nation, and world.
Founded in 1959, Cardinal Spellman High School (“CSHS”) is located on 13 acres of land in the Bronx and serves 1350 students in grades 9 through 12. At Cardinal Spellman, students grow academically, spiritually, and socially in an environment that fosters leadership and responsibility. Through its college preparatory program of studies, multi-sport athletic teams, and wide variety of clubs and activities, students have countless opportunities for success.
Cardinal Spellman is distinguished by a legacy of excellence:
• A 100% graduation rate and college acceptance rate
• $41 million in college scholarships (earned by the class of 2017)
• 18 AP and college-level courses offered to earn college credit
• The opportunity to earn up to 1 year of college credits, which can transfer to 95% of schools in the U.S.
• A 15 to 1 student to teacher ratio
• An average class size of 24 students
• 24,000 hours of community service completed by the class of 2017
• 30 sports teams and 50 clubs and activities for students
• A network of more than 21,000 alumni
About the Position
Reporting to the President & Principal, the Senior Vice President for Advancement (“SVP”) will oversee and manage the Advancement functions of CSHS, including: Major Gifts, Annual Giving, Corporate and Foundation Giving, Alumni Relations, Special Events, and Planned Giving. In addition, the SVP will be playing the lead role in preparing the organization for its next capital campaign. The SVP will maintain a portfolio of key prospects.
The successful candidate will be a leader and mentor who is ambitious regarding Cardinal Spellman’s institutional reach and fundraising potential and who will broaden the number and nature of relationships across the school community at all levels. In addition to having strong management skills, the right candidate must have the ability to work well with a Board of Trustees, senior colleagues across the school, staff at a variety of levels, and other volunteers. The new SVP will oversee the growth of a comprehensive advancement department, with a specific focus on major gifts.
• Minimum 10+ years of experience in institutional advancement, including a mix of frontline fundraising, volunteer management, strategic leadership, and operations
• Track record of setting and executing a fundraising strategy.
• Successful front-line experience with the cultivation and solicitation of leadership gifts.
• Experience playing a lead role in a capital campaign that leads to sustained philanthropic success
• Demonstrated ability to develop staff to next levels of achievement in their professions.
• Ability to hold the department as a whole to high standards of achievement for giving and relationship building.
• Experience working with board, senior management and volunteer leadership.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, with an emphasis on the ability to persuade and influence others around ideas, decisions, and financial support.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with a passion for creating successful teams.
• Capacity and willingness for frequent local and regional travel, with periodic national travel
• Understanding and experience with marketing and social media
• An understanding and enthusiasm for education and Cardinal Spellman’s mission.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Appreciation of a Catholic school faith-based education
Visit http://apptrkr.com/1210142 to learn more and/or apply.