History records that in August of 1846, our diocesan schools were opened with an endowment of $4600. Saint Mother Theodore Guerin and Sisters Mary Magdalen, Catherine, and Caroline of the Sisters of Providence enrolled sixty girls in the new St. Augustine Academy. After a request by Mother Guerin, the bishop acquired the assistance of the Brothers of the Holy Cross to instruct the boys. With a “...cow and a calf grazing “on the school property, the new St. Augustine Academy enrolled South German Catholics, American Protestants, Canadian French children, and Miami Native American girls.
Over one hundred sixty-five years have passed since Mother Guerin, one of eight American saints, labored, taught, and prayed for children, families and Catholics residing within our diocesan boundaries. Our principals, teachers, and staff are just as committed to teaching the truth and beauty of our Catholic faith as the founding Sisters of Providence; our schools remain strong, and student populations are no less diverse over a century and a half later.
With 43 schools in 14 counties, the Catholic Schools of the Diocese of Fort Wayne - South Bend are communities of faith, knowledge, and service that have been educating the children of our Diocese for over 165 years and a commitment to academic excellence, a strong Catholic faith foundation, and a moral compass for life.